How many of you own a pair of computer glasses? You may not need glasses for the distance, up close or reading but you may own a pair that reduces the glare of screens through blue light filter. Or you may not know it yet, but you may be a victim of computer vision syndrome or digital eye strain.
Symptoms may include blurred vision or double vision, dry eyes, burning sensation, watery eyes, light and glare sensitivity, headaches, difficulty concentrating, neck and shoulder strain.
Excessive exposure to blue light from digital screens harms the photoreceptor cells in your retina that convert light to send signals to the brain and causes these symptoms of eye strain to appear.
Who Is At Risk?
– Office workers and those who spend the majority of time on screen
– Binge TV watchers and tablet addicts
– Those already wearing glasses for short/far sightedness
– Dry eye sufferers
– Age: As we age, the eye’s production of tears lessens, leading to dry eyes
Simple And Easy Tips To Reverse The Effects Of The Condition On Eyes
1. Take regular breaks:
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule: Look somewhere as far as 20 feet (6 meters) for 20 seconds every 20 minutes.
2. Invest in a pair of glasses with anti-reflective coating and blue-light filter
3. Blink frequently
4. Moisturise your eyes with artificial tears or lubricating eye drops frequently
5. Minimise glare by:
- Adjusting your room lighting (warm light)
- Try to sit at a right angle to the window to minimise glare
- Increase screen brightness
- Wipe of dust and fingerprints from the screen
6. Sit at least at a 45cm distance away from the monitor and 3m away from TV.
7. Head to the kitchen and cook up some eggs!!
Egg Yolk As A Treatment For Computer Vision Syndrome
Eggs are rich in Vitamin A, Zinc, Lutein and Zeaxanthin, all of which are needed to maintain healthy eyes.
Vitamin A: is very beneficial for the overall health of the cornea and improves/ protects dry eyes.
Zinc: is needed in high amounts in the retina. It aids in the production of melanin, the pigment that protects against UV radiation. It is a powerful antioxidant that reduces free radicals that damage the eye. Zinc deficiency has been associated with poor night vision, cataracts and aged-related macular degeneration.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin: they are only present in rich concentrations in the lens and retina and are necessary for overall health of eyes. They act as natural blue light filters and have a calming effect on the eye. They can also help overcome inflammation, and improve several aspects of visual performance such as contrast sensitivity, side vision, ocular discomfort, glare disability, and light-stress recovery.
Egg Yolk Eye Mask Treatment
WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME
Recent research in pharmaceutical industry has experimented with egg yolk extract creating a hydrogel eye mask to protect against computer vision syndrome. Results were very promising, so keep an eye out in the market! Don’t think gross…think eye boss!